- 1000 Americans were randomly surveyed at the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum.
- Half could name two of the members of the Simpsons family.
- 28% could name one out of the five First Amendment rights.
- The same number of people could name all five Simpsons or the three judges from "American Idol".
- Only 8% could name three part of the First Amendment.
- Just one person could name all five First Amendment rights.
- The five First Amendment rights are: freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, and freedom to go to court.
- Some people surveyed listed the right the right to drive and the right to have pets.
My $0.02: The results make perfect sense. The only time people are exposed to the list of the First Amendment is when they are in school and are forced to memorize them. People watch the Simpson family all of the time, so they will definitely remember the names. You don't need a survey to know the results of this one. The importance of this article is that it shows fact that as Americans, we don't consider our rights. We just assume them.